Disciplines are supernatural powers granted by the Embrace. The origins of these powers are unknown, but some speculate they are gifts from Caine, the father of all vampires himself. There are two types of these: passive and targeted.
- Passive Disciplines target your own character, and affect their perception and their skills. They last for a certain amount of time depending on the caster's level of expertise, but can be broken in advance by the caster him/herself. The passive Disciplines are; Auspex, Celerity, Fortitude, Obfuscate, Potence, Presence and Protean.
- Targeted Disciplines require your character to select a target on which to cast the spell; friend or foe, or even yourself. They can either harm or strengthen the target. You will also have to select what level to use, as each level represents a different "spell". The targeted Disciplines are; Animalism, Dementation, Dominate and Thaumaturgy.
What levels you have access to depends on the age of your vampire. Neonates don't have access to any levels higher than 2, Ancillae can reach level 3, Elders may aim as high as 4 and only Methuselah can wield a level 5.
|RANK||AGE [YEARS]||HIGHEST DISCIPLINE LEVEL||EXTRA DISCIPLINES ALLOWED|
50-150 (NA) || 200-250 (EU)**
200 (NA) || 300+ (EU)**
* Fledglings whose Sire is at least Generation 7 or OLDER, may have their highest discipline set at 2 maximum (to start with.)
** Erebos uses EU age ranges to determine Kindred rank.
For the sake of 'realism' though (and attempting to avoid the Mary Sue stereotype), try to not have reached the highest level possible for your age, in every discipline you have.
Additionally, all Disciplines (save for Vicissitude and Obtenebration) can be learned. Ancillae can learn one additional Discipline, Elders can learn two, and Methuselahs can learn three. However, no learned Discipline can exceed the second highest of your character's original Disciplines (meaning, Elders can never reach higher than level 4 with learned Disciplines, and Ancillae can never reach higher than level 3), and the second and third learned Disciplines have to be lower.
Furthermore, keep in mind that the clan specific Disciplines (Dementation, Protean and Thaumaturgy) would be far more difficult to acquire knowledge of, than say, Celerity. They would need a good explanation indeed as for how they were learned.
A note on the concept of learning Disciplines:
Kindred do not gain an instant knowledge of their Disciplines upon their Embrace, even though the potential comes with the Blood. If left in the dark by their Sires, they might not even be aware they have them.
Some Disciplines are more instinctive than others; these are the physical ones (Potence, Fortitude and Celerity), that may be activated without the vampire consciously attempting to, especially when the situation requires it (for example, finding out you can run very fast indeed when trying to get away from danger), but they require conscious effort to use at will and improve, which implies knowledge such a power exists.
Other disciplines, particularly complex ones like Thaumaturgy, Dominate, Obfuscate etc, require a mentor willing to teach you. A vampire may also expand their knowledge by practicing on their own, or learning from various other sources, but the basics must be there first. To sum it up, a vampire Embraced and abandoned is very unlikely to advance in their Discipline levels unless they encounter someone willing to teach them.
Last but not least, it is important that you are careful using Disciplines, as some result in an obvious display of supernatural powers, and using them where the Masquerade is in effect (meaning in public or around mortals) will be considered a Masquerade violation, as it breaks the Masquerade. Other Disciplines are subtle enough to use around mortals, as casting them will not be visible to the naked eye.
However, no Disciplines are to be used while in an Elysium.
Speaking of which, how do you use Disciplines/Skills when role-playing your vampire character?
➠ Plain and simple: describe your actions as they pertain to the discipline being used. At the bottom of your post, list the name of the discipline(s) used along with appropriate level(s) - in a spoiler tag, like this:
NOTE: If you have questions about any of this, please feel free to PM me.
Now, without any further ado, here are the Disciplines used in Erebos:
- Animalism (Gangrel, Nosferatu)
- Auspex (Malkavian, Toreador, Tremere)
- Celerity (Brujah, Toreador)
- Dementation (Malkavian)
- Dominate (Tremere, Ventrue)
- Fortitude (Gangrel, Ventrue)
- Obfuscate (Malkavian, Nosferatu)
- Potence (Brujah, Nosferatu)
- Presence (Brujah, Toreador, Ventrue)
- Protean (Gangrel)
- Thaumaturgy (Tremere)
- Obtenebration (Lasombra)
- Vicissitude (Tzimisce)
- Assamite*** - Celerity, Obfuscate, Quietus
- Brujah - Celerity, Potence, Presence
- Gangrel - Animalism, Fortitude, Protean
- Followers of Set*** - Obfuscate, Presence, Serpentis
- Giovanni*** - Dominate, Necromancy, Potence
- Lasombra - Dominate, Obtenebration, Potence
- Malkavian - Auspex, Dementation, Obfuscate
- Nosferatu - Animalism, Obfuscate, Potence
- Ravnos*** - Animalism, Chimerstry, Fortitude
- Toreador - Auspex, Celerity, Presence
- Tremere - Auspex, Dominate, Thaumaturgy
- Tzimisce - Animalism, Auspex, Vicissitude
- Ventrue - Dominate, Fortitude, Presence